dpkg --set-selections and aptitude

Hi,

due to a major brainfart on my part, I recently had to reinstall my sid
system. To quickly install all packages I had installed on my previous
installation, I used 'dpkg --set-selections', feeding it a file created
on the old system. An 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' and an hour later my
system was not only usable but "complete" again.

What strikes me is that aptitude apparently didn't care about that
action. When run in command-line mode, it has to be forced to install
any upgrade with 'full-upgrade', even if no other packages are affected.
In order to examine the situation, I started the ncurses interface where
aptitude proposes to remove more than 900 packages. I guess it wants to
remove all packages installed by the dselect-upgrade and even those
packages installed afterwards using aptitude.

So, my questions:

- Why does this happen?

- How can I easily convince aptitude not to remove all those packages?

- How should I proceed concerning the auto/manual status of all those
  packages?

J.
--
If I won the lottery I would keep all the money and wallpaper my house
with it.