Re: MTA

In <[🔎] 20090706212028.GD31728@wasteland.homelinux.net>, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>Pawel Cholewinski:
>> I want to install MTA in my network. I want to know which mail transfer
>> agent is recommended (postfix, exim, sendmail or other else) and why.
>> And which is unsafe and why.
>
>I would avoid Sendmail since it is *really* old and hard to configure.

Sendmail gets more modern all the time, but m4 is quite the beast for
configuration files.  Still, if you learn it you'll be an aid to any project
still using autoconf.

>Popcon data
>shows 19% usage of Postfix and 69% of Exim which appears to support this
>theory.

Popcon data is going to biased in favor of Exim as many users will get it by
default when cron or anacron is installed.

I've found exim4 to be quite easy to configure, but not entirely intuitive.
The documentation is a required read if you need to do anything not handled
by the debconf setup.  (e.g. tying into a IMAPd or SPAM/malware scans at
delivery or SMTP time)