Re: Java lib packages

In <[🔎] 4fe4c4f50907021347r2fcba2dcqa1b0ca7e2db79600@mail.gmail.com>, ChadDavis
wrote:
>> In any case, the lib*-java packages are not specifically for developers.
>> They are shared dependencies of the Java applications that are part of
>> Debian or are using the Debian build and distribution network
>> (contrib/non- free).  Java applications in main with priority
>> optional/extra are just as much part of Debian as a C/C++ application in
>> main with priority optional/extra.
>
>So, the lib-java stuff makes up the JRE for Java apps in Debian?

IIRC, JRE has a very specific meaning, which doesn't include the libraries
from the Apache Commons project.  The virtual(?) package default-jre should
give you a fully functioning JRE; if it doesn't please file a bug.

Each of those (lib*-java) packages make another Java library available for
Java applications running on Debian.  Usually, this is by installing a .jar
file somewhere under /usr/share, among other things.  The package will be
tracked by the package manager, so you'll get security updates, dependency
tracking, etc.

>So,
>can I say that if I install one of these libraries it will be
>available when I invoke java in Debian?

Last time I checked, installing a lib*-java did not add a .jar to my
CLASSPATH, which is rather unfortunate (since it differs from the way C
libraries and Perl modules are handled in Debian).  However, this may have
changed or I may not have fully understood how Debian handles this.