which (non-RAID) SATA controller works great?

Hi,

I'm trying to find out which SATA controller card would work great for
Debian testing with (currently) kernel 2.6.30. Availability (want to
buy in local store) and price (max $100) are also an issue. The card
must be supported with drivers included in the standard kernel, have
at least 4 ports, should be a PCI-e card and support all features
(like NCQ).

Promise cards are hard to get and PCI-x. Many cards have only 2 ports
and eventually unknow chips. Adaptec cards seem to be expensive and
don't have drivers other than for Redhat and Suse. Cheap $20 cards are
probably crap and won't work. 3ware is too expensive.

So what works, what are you using?

I hate SATA --- it could be nice if it would just work, though ...