Driver in Lenny for ASUS 802.11n Network Adapter?

All,

My new motherboard has a wifi card which is identified as a USB device,
and lsusb says this about it:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0b05:1742 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11n Network
Adapter

I have found that it can be used in Lenny with these instructions:
http://wiki.debian.org/rt2870sta
That involves using a backported Linux 2.6.29 kernel, and I would like
to keep as much as possible on Lenny on this box, and the kernel is
something I would certainly like to avoid updating.

However, I haven't got any 802.11n devices, it would be perfectly OK to
have just 802.11b/g.

So, my primary question is if there is a driver in Lenny that would
support this card with 802.11b/g?

Alternatively, is it possible to compile just a kernel module rather
than backporting the whole kernel? And if so, how?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer