Re: ext4 stable enough to entrust it with data?

Am Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:40:56 -0700
schrieb Mike Castle <dalgoda+debian@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM, lee<lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > It seems you can convert ext3 to ext4 later, so I'm thinking
> > of using ext3 for now and maybe converting later.
>
> If you go this route, be sure you use a later kernel, .28+.  .26 has
> known issues with mixing extent/non-extent files on the same system (I
> think?, verify to be sure).  And I can attest to growing ext4
> filesystems online is deadly.  :-/

.28 was the first kernel where ext4 was marked stable. With good
reasons, it seems... The .26 problem may be: Kernel 2.6.26 doesn't
support ext4 (it probably has ext4dev support). As soon as the first
extent-based file is created on a ext3 mounted as ext4, the filesystem
is ext3 incompatible.

Generally I'd use ext4 only with 2.6.28+ as it was marked stable in that
version.

Andreas