No music playback

This is strange: I can play video files with sound, I can play flash video with
sound, but when I try to play a music file (mp3) in either Rhythmbox or Exaile
the progress bar does not move and the file will not play.

I don't know if this is related, but I have two volume icons in my panel, the
one that I added myself and now one in the notification area. They appear the
same, but the icon in my panel has the usual config options, whereas the icon
in the notification area has a minimal menu with prefs that look like the ones
for Pulseaudio.

System is Testing/Unstable.