Re: etch-to-lenny upgrade problem...

Ed Sutter wrote:
Hi,
Last week I attempted to upgrade to lenny.
Everything *seemed* to go well, until I rebooted..
Now at startup I see a few errors (see below) and end up
with no GUI, and no network connectivity.

Bottom line...
It ain't good.  :-(

Anyone have a clue what may have happened?
Thanks in advance,
Ed

Here are the errors I notice during startup...

1:
  udev_rules_init could not read /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp7.rules

2:
  /etc/rcS.d/S03udev:  line 292  udevtrigger: commnad not found

3:
  Then for about three minutes the system sits at this message:
     Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...

4:
  Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist)

I'm then able to log in at the text-only console, and my previously
(as-in "etch") installed files/directories are there, but I have
no network connectivity.

Well, I've resolved all but item #4 above by running the following command:
aptitude -o DPkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" -o DPkg::Options::="--force_confnew" reinstall udev"

I still don't have  GNOME up and running (apparently because of #4 above),
but the other errors are cleaned up,  so I'm gettin' there, but still lookin'
fer help.

Ed