Re: Prepartitioning, Grub location for Lenny?

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:22:38AM -0500, postid wrote:
> I'm preparing to install Debian Lenny on an IBM R40 laptop. My
> old layout was as follows:
>
> hda1=primary=WinXP
> hda2=primary=Debian Sarge
> hda3=primary=swap
> hda4=primary=Knoppix

I see so far.

> (There's also a hidden partition with WinXP recovery stuff at the
> end of the drive. I'm going to leave that designated by the BIOS
> as hidden.)

This is not makinhg sense.  Where is this "hidden partition".

In order to have more than 5 partitions, you need to use "extended".

> I've wiped the partitions and reinstalled WinXP on
> hda1. I'll again use Partition Magic under WinXP (or a parted
> magic live CD) to create a new layout:
>
> hda1=primary=6GB=WinXP
>
> hda2=primary=10GB=Debian Lenny /
>
> hda3=primary=12GB= /home

This is one possibility. Having all / in hda2 (including /home) is
possible.  This is just preference issue which installer took choice for
you.

> hda4=extended=7GB
>
>      hda5=logical=1GB=swap
>
>      hda6=logical=3GB=Test distro (Slax, Slitaz, Knoppix, etc.)
>
>      hda7=logical=3GB=Test distro (Slax, Slitaz, Knoppix, etc.)
>
> In order to get WinXP to boot during the reinstall, I did
> an "install-mbr /hda." After installing Lenny, should I install
> Grub on the mbr or should I locate it somewhere else (for
> example, at the beginning of hda2)?

You are using MBR(Niels's one from Debian), I guess.  If so, "/dev/hda".
I think.  (I am not quite sure what you wish to do and I am not 100%
sure how XP behavs.)

Then Grub need to be installed in /dev/hda2  (I am not saying installing
Grub in "/dev/hda" kills system.  It should do well too.)

See http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch03.en.html

Osami