Re: Unicode recommendations in a terminal - Please advise.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 05:51:59AM EDT, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > How should I set up my terminal - xterm - and what might be a
> > good unicode fixed font that could make the experience more
> > true to life?
>
> The Debian package xfonts-efont-unicode has very wide character
> coverage (incl. Chinese/Japanese). For tips on how to set it up,
> google my page "Configuring xterm for UTF-8".

I also found your general discussion re: International Text on Linux.
Looks promising.

I gave the efont packages a shot and at pxlsz 16 the font looks great at
least where I can formulate an opinion - for alphabet-based scripts -
and it pretty much passes the test provided by Markus Kuhn in his UTF8
demo file.

[..]

> > xfd from the x11-utils package is fine, but it does not appear
> > to support Truetype fonts.
>
> The efonts aren't Truetype. You get the oldfashioned xterm "look &
> feel".

I guess that's because the efont comes in a variety of sizes - the GNU
unifont has tons of glyphs but only a "*-16-160-*" version and appears
to have been converted to the .ttf format to provide something scalable
at a more affordable cost.

Thanks,

CJ