Installing Debian alongside Windows Vista?

Hi,

I have a 500GB disk which has Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
(64bit) installed on it. Not sure if that is 1 huge partition or not.
I assume it is NTFS. Can someone please tell me exactly what I must do
to shrink the Vista install by 50% and install Debian squeeze (64bit
AMD) on the 250GB partition that will be freed. Also what do you
recommend for swap size (it has 4GB ram) and just have 1 big root
partition with everything on it or split 125GB for root / and 125GB
for /home partitions. Also how do I setup GRUB to then dual boot Vista
and Debian? I've only used LILO as my boot manager in the past?

Regards,
Zach