Re: Need help with sound on Lenny desk-top host

On Sat,27.Jun.09, 11:50:01, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Since you are intending to patch the last bullet point in the release
> note, I suggest that you also recast the other bullet points where you
> suggest specific commands to type and the specific results to be
> expected.

I filed #534797, because although I do have commit rights (as a
translator for the Romanian version) I wouldn't touch the English
version without an ok from the maintainer. I'll think of a bigger patch,
but feel free to make a suggestion (you don't need to worry about the
layout or so, just the wording).

> Its OK, even good, to keep a higher level explanation of what
> issue the specific command/result will address, but it is really
> helpful to a confused non-expert to be told specifically what to do
> and what result to expect (as you have already done for me)

OTOH the release notes are not short...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise

> sound of radio receiver static, but modern radio receivers have
> inter-station noise blanking, so this suggestion is an indication of
> my advanced age. Or, the sound of wind in a forest. Or, the sound of
> wind in a desert.
>
> You may be able to avoid discussions with pedants like me about word
> descriptions of the sound of noise by suggesting the test be
>
> speaker-test -c2 -t wav
>
> On my computer with my locale settings this gives a woman's voice
> repeating, until I type cntrl-C, in English,
> "Front Left ... Front Right "

That's an excelent tip, you read the manpage more thoroughly than I
have. But I would keep the -l with something bigger than 0, because some
users might get confused if it never stops.

> Your computer, in your locale, should have different wav files in
> /usr/share/sounds/alsa, and should give an equivalent sound track, but
> in your 'locale' language. If so, you can avoid all word description
> of what noise sounds like in different cultures.

My locale (ro) is not very widespread, I also get the English voice, but
it's a very good point.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)