Re: X freezes

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:37:22PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:36:40 +0000, Ólafur Jens Sigurðsson wrote:
> > Hey all
> >
> > When booting using kernel 2.6.29 my X freezes
>
> Does the rest of the system still work when that happens? (e.g. VT switch, ssh,
> ALT-SysRq)

I can't VT switch, but I can use the ALT-SysRq to reboot.

> >                                               but not when using
> > kernel 2.6.26, but the older kernel runs X really slow and takes up a
> > lot of CPU when doing simple things like blocking text in a
> > gnome-terminal (so the terminal has to scroll, else it doesn't).
> >
> > My system (lspci) is:
> >
> > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
>
> [...]
>
> > My x.org file is:
>
> [...]
>
> > Section "Device"
> > 	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
> > EndSection
>
> Try to add
>
>       Option          "AccelMethod"   "UXA"
>
> and/or
>
>       Option          "Tiling"        "false"

Ok, that seemed to get me a bit further (as in, when starting with
startx and just running twm I get to navigate twm's menus, when
starting gdm and pressing the Action button I get the options up which
I didn't get before just a grey box, but then it freezes) but it still
freezes.

Oli