Re: How do you get aptitude to do what you want?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:12:35PM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> >  Aptitude always acts so weird :( What's the problem with it? Dselect
> >  always just did what I wanted it to do.
>
> I've always suspected that apt/aptitude's not at fault.  I seldom run
> into this stuff, I suspect, by simply eschewing Gnome/KDE/CUPS/...
> That's where the complexity comes in.

Well, then try to install a web browser --- or several of them, like
galeon, mozilla and maybe even konqueror. Some things that don't work
in one of them eventually work in the other(s), so you're not done
with installing only one browser. Installing these draws a lot of
stuff with them that you don't need and don't want. Same is for a
number of other programs I'm installing because I need them.

> I do a minimal install, then drag in only the stuff I want (fluxbox,
> emacs, mutt, slrn, bogofilter, afio, ...).  It takes some time the
> first time, but take notes and it's faster than the automated way
> subsequently.

Yeah, that's what I do, but I can't keep lots of stuff I don't
want/need from being installed unless I'd carefully make up my own
packages with the dependencies I want (every time I update) or just
ignore all dependencies and end up with a broken system.

Starting with a minimal install used to work pretty well, but it
doesn't anymre :(