Re: How do you get aptitude to do what you want?

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>:

>  I'm trying to upgrade my testing installation, but aptitude keeps yelp
>  in its current state, claiming that upgrading yelp would break a
>  dependency with gman. But gman is not even installed.
>
>  When I mark yelp as upgradeable, it says that it would break
>  scrollkeeper. So I tell it to purge scrollkeeper, but it again says it
>  breaks some dependencies:
> [snip]
>  Now I don't need those packages, but when I mark them to be purged and
>  press g, aptitude says it wants to install rarian-compat and to keep
>  above packages, except for synaptic, at their current state. Now when
>  looking at the list what it is going to do, it doesn't say it will
>  keep these packages in their current states. Instead, it will remove
>  scrollkeeper, ugrade 66 packages (including yelp) and install 3 new
>  ones to satisfy dependencies.
>
>  Why is this so confusing? Why does it say it will keep some packages
>  in their states but then doesn't say that it will do that? It doesn't
>  mention the packages it said to keep in their states at all now.
>
>  Aptitude always acts so weird :( What's the problem with it? Dselect
>  always just did what I wanted it to do.

I've always suspected that apt/aptitude's not at fault.  I seldom run
into this stuff, I suspect, by simply eschewing Gnome/KDE/CUPS/...
That's where the complexity comes in.  Even xfce displays this
fragility in recent tests.  I almost called one of my users a liar the
other day when I couldn't believe what he was telling me.  Sure
enough, he was right (no "Username:" or "Password:" displayed in the
*DM login prompt).

I do a minimal install, then drag in only the stuff I want (fluxbox,
emacs, mutt, slrn, bogofilter, afio, ...).  It takes some time the
first time, but take notes and it's faster than the automated way
subsequently.