Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:22:38 +0800
明覺 <shi.minjue@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/6/22 Peter Crawford <creature.58@hotmail.com>:
> >
> > Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:17:18AM +0800, 明覺 wrote:
> >> I want to keep the programs in my system all written in c/c++, no
> >> python or perl or any other programming languages, is it possible to
> >> reach it?
> >
> > Eventually you might find DirectFB acceptable.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectFB
> >
> > Lack of XDirectFB in Debian is a limitation for now.
> thank you, I think DirectFB is the right direction, while X window is
> a strange way for graphic system. I hope I can find a DirectFB
> implementation of window system to replace gnome.

I'm afraid that you are out of lucks as DirectFB won't help your cause either
as there are VERY few programs that support it. I think that there is a media
player, image viewer and possibly a pdf viewer, but not much more. You won't
find anything similar to gnome unless you start writing it. Most gui programs
depend explicitly on xorg calls so won't run without x windows.

You are mostly limited to the console with tcsh and try to ignore the face that
your whole startup and parts of your project management depend on sh, possibly
also perl. Some of the build procedures for you faivorite programs also
probably depend on some scripting language or other. I'm not aware of any pure
c building environment.