strange problem - computer works in one place, but not in another

I installed Lenny on a computer without problems.  I did a net install
and checked the various applications that were likely to be heavily
used. All were working.  Desktop: KDE.  Hardware: Pentium III
Coppermine, 256MB RAM.

I then moved the computer to its owner's house,having done the
installation at my house.  And everything internet-related has gone
mad!!

Now:
Konqueror connects immediately to any site I have tried.
Iceweasel connects intermittently: i.e. sometimes connects,sometimes doesn't.
Icedove (which was fine at my house) won't connect at all.
Ping works for some sites, not for others.
aptitude can't connect at all.  So I cannot update/upgrade or install
new applications.  (I could at home.)

On the same connection, and using the same cables, my laptop connects
well, except that ping is still erratic.

I have: reset the router to factory defaults; tried another router.
There is a good fast connection, and I updated Jaunty on my laptop
without a problem.

And the DVD RW drive is playing up in spite of being brand new so I
cannot just try reinstalling. :-(

Help!

Lisi