Re: Sendmail to send mail only, using MX records

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Kelly Jones wrote:

I have sendmail installed on etch, but not running as a daemon

Why on earth would you do that ... sendmail, like any other MTA these
days binds only to 127.0.0.1 by default.

When I do:

# echo "Test" | /usr/lib/sendmail foo@bar.com

the logs show this:

Jun 21 11:13:51 debian sendmail[3924]: n5LFDpSS003924: to=foo@bar.com,
ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
pri=30005, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:
Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

Right...  Install sendmail-doc and read
	/usr/share/doc/sendmail/sendmail/SECURITY.gz

For improved security, sendmail has been split into two pieces - the
Mail Submission Agent/Program  and the Mail Transport Agent.

How can I tell /usr/lib/sendmail to do an MX lookup on bar.com and
connect to that server, instead of connecting to localhost?

You have two basic choices:
	1) Allow sendmail daemon to start, things will just work !
	2) setup submit.mc in a null-client type setup using a smart host.

I realize my command above has other errors, but if I can solve the
MX-lookup issue, I'm sure I can get everything else working.

There is no MX lookup issue, the issue is not understanding how sendmail
works.

I also realize I'll have to run "sendmail -q -v" regularly (via cron?)
to flush any stuck messages.

Doable, or you can let the default setup just work.

--
Rick Nelson
<Knghtbrd> Overfiend - BTW, after we've discovered X takes all of 1.4 GIGS