USB stick - heavy use taking its toll - I/O error, dev sr0..

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 06:41:34PM EDT, Chris Jones wrote:

Reviving this long-dead debate.

I had noticed these boot time messages in /var/log/kern.log for some
time now:

Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 49150
sr 0:0:0:1: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK
sr 0:0:0:1: [sr0] Sense Key : No Sense [current]
sr 0:0:0:1: [sr0] Add. Sense: No additional sense information

.. and further on:

sr 0:0:0:1: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK
sr 0:0:0:1: [sr0] Sense Key : No Sense [current]
sr 0:0:0:1: [sr0] Add. Sense: No additional sense information
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 196600

The same two sequences are repeated a number of times with different
"logical block" and "sector" numbers.

I could not find online documentation as to where they come from or
their syntax - I could be wrong, but stuff like "Sense Key:" reminds me
of scsi messages.

On a hunch, I shutdown the laptop, removed the flash drive, rebooted,
and sure enough they were gone.

I'm guessing, but this looks like the kernel is performing some kind of
sanity check on the device and does not like what it finds.

Just wondering if this might have any relevance to the device slowly but
surely going bad..?

In any case, since this concerns only about half a dozen sectors out of
apparently tens of thousands, at that rate, it looks like the flash
drive will probably outlive its usefulness.

Maybe the problem would eventually turn out to be the verbosity of those
messages filling up the logs.

CJ