Re: XOrg Config Problem on Thinkpad T60

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > I really wonder why this package is not a dependency of the
> > xserver-xorg-radeon{,hd} packages. If the installation of that package solved
> > that problem for you I will file a bug against the xserver-xorg-video-*
> > packages that "depend" on it.
>
> Packages in 'main' can not depend on packages in 'non-free' (or they
> have to go to 'contrib'), they can only 'suggest' them:

If they _require_ a non-free package to work in the first place, they should
be in contrib and depend on the non-free package.  It doesn't belong in
main.

However, AFAIK, the firmware for the radeons is not non-free.  At first
glance, the license looks dfsg-compatible (but I am too sleepy to be sure
about it right now).  And the binary blobs look like microcode to me, which
doesn't even _have_ source other than its own binaryness.  But someone who
works in the X.org driver is going to be better able to tell if it is
microcode, or something that would have some sort of higher-level source
code.

  Henrique Holschuh