Re: Question about Installing Lenny on a laptop

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Petrus Validus<petrus.validus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am installing Lenny on a Toshiba Tecra A8.  During the software
> selection screen by default the options "Desktop Environment" "Laptop"
> and "Standard System" are checked.
>
> Usually I just install the base and build from there (on desktops) but
> since I'm on a laptop I'm wondering what tools and packages are part of
> the "Laptop" selection?  Are they necessary they be installed with the
> rest of the system or does it not matter?

Of course, the appropriate response is, "it depends."  It depends on
what you want. Are "they" "necessary" for what?  Also, I'm sure that
there is documentation about the diff that you surely don't need
pointing to (mmm. . . debian.org).

I suspect that your "laptop" is as capable as your "desktop." That is,
the diff between the two is not enough to worry about the diff between
a standard (desktop) install and a laptop install. Many laptops are
"desktops" now-a-days. All I have are laptops. . . So, without more
info about what you have the less help anyone can provide.

One thing that I find odd is the reluctancy of folks to try a FREE OS.
If you have space, try it out! There is no loss (i.e., partition your
M$ box and try).

</one of those moods>