Re: Automatically creating user accounts from exim

In <[🔎] 18c1e6480906170751s1156138ep8d3002b2528c3d7b@mail.gmail.com>, David
wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Douglas A. Tutty<dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:
>> Since this mail is coming from a trusted server, why not have a script
>> on that server first check (via ssh) if the user exists?  Or, have it
>> send the mail blindly.  If the user doesn't exist, exim bounces it back.
>> the sending script then uses ssh to create the user on the target
>> system.
>
>These would be other ways of adding accounts, yes.
>
>My main assumption is that exim gives a simple way to hook arbitrary
>scripts into it's logic at various points.

That would be mostly wrong.

What you *can* do is add custom routers (routers in exim are processed in
order) that call "weird" transports (which are only called based on router
evaluation) to perform some action based on the contents of the email and
possibly feed the mail back into exim.  (If you feed it back into exim,
you'll probably want to add some header to prevent the mail from being
processed by the same router/transport again.)

Exim can certainly *do* what you want it to, but it will quite quite a bit
of fairly advanced configuration.  For that, you'll need to really learn
exim.  I suggest you join pkg-exim4-users@lists.alioth.debian.org (LOW
traffic) and ask your question there.  While waiting for a reply, begin
reading the exim4 documentation along-side the configuration generated by
exim4-config.

I recommend pkg-exim4-users because the standard exim4 list doesn't really
like some of the Debianizations.  I recommend reading the documentation
along-side the Debian configuration because the Debian configuration is
quite sizable.[1]  You'll need to understand it to add to it, and it can
also serve as an example of what you are reading about.

[1] That's part of what allows exim4 on Debian to be so easy to configure
via debconf.  It's also what can *seem* to make Debian so hard to configure
outside of debconf.  (It's actually easy once you know the "tricks" the
packagers provided.)