Re: Automatically creating user accounts from exim

On Qua, 17 Jun 2009, David wrote:
Could you point me to docs where I can read more about virtual users?
Most of the Google results are for Virtual Domains, or for Exim in
combination with other software.

Exim doesn't really make a distinction between real users and local users. It can check /etc/passwd (or some other database) for users, but it can also check a text file, a database, check for the existence of a file...

For example, this is a very simple router that checks if the destination is a local user, and if it is, calls the transport to store mail in a local file:

localuser:
  driver = accept
  check_local_user
  transport = local_delivery

Here's the said transport:

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  file = /var/mail/$local_part
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
  return_path_add

If check_local_user is removed, then all mail that reaches the localuser router is accepted, and will be stored in /var/mail/destination. (A few more settings in the transport might be necessary.)

A user account is not created, though. This part is complicated, what I can think of is a sending the e-mail (via a pipe transport) that creates the account. Then it stored the mail, or sends it back to exim to be processed again.

As for docs, there's the extensive exim manual at http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ . You'll certainly need to take a look at the sections about routers and transports.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br