Re: Automatically creating user accounts from exim

On Qua, 17 Jun 2009, David wrote:
Okay, this is kind of a weird question, but it came up at work.

I'm a complete exim newbie (I've never configured it before, beyond
'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'), but a project came up where the
manager wants to use exim in a weird way. Basically, this needs to
happen:

1) Exim receives a mail, from a trusted IP address

2) If the mail is to a non-existant user account, then create the
system account,  deliver the mail to the new account's mail file

I'd strongly recommend against creating system users for unknown accounts. With the amount of spam we get today, you'd be flooded with new accounts.

It would probably be better to create virtual users, storing the mails in something like /var/vmail/<recipient> . And this is easier to do, by the way.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br