Re: aptitude wants to remove 'locate'

On 2009-06-14 19:13 +0200, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> 'dlocate' now shows in the update list for 'aptitude -s safe-upgrade'
> and when I try 'aptitude install dlocate' I'm told that 'locate' will be
> removed.

This is because locate is marked as automatically installed, and the old
dlocate is the only package depending on it.  The new dlocate has
dropped this dependency, so locate becomes unused.

> However, when I enter 'aptitude why-not locate' I'm told "Unable to find
> a reason to remove locate."

Because the installed version of dlocate still depends on it.  Try
"aptitude why locate".

If you want to keep the locate package, just use
"aptitude unmarkauto locate".  However, I recommend to switch to mlocate
which is standard in Lenny and newer.  See the mlocate package
description for its advantages over findutils' locate.

Sven