Re: Google Chrome

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 10:34:15AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> It creates a daily cron job to check for updates and appears
> temporarily to modify sources.list to grab the update.  Some find this
> behavior offensive, but it's by no means the only package which
> creates a cron job which does things at the system level.

On some low-life operating systems, each package comes with its own
updates system. On Linux distributions we have a central system with a
single package management system.

It is not a matter of a single package to decide the policy. There are
indeed some specific packages intended to deal with the package
management system: synaptic, aptitude, anacron/apticron. But their
description clearly states that they deal with that. The description of
the Chrome package does not read 'this package is also responsible for
adapting your package management configuration to our repository'. I
want a web browser. Not a Google software installer.