Re: Google Chrome

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 9:40 AM, David Baron<d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> I am liking this more and more. I have preferred opera but the current version
> is awful slow to start doing anything. Chrome, it's just there, up and
> running.

I'm enjoying it, too, but for some major features missing so far.

> A few points:
> 1. It does not download anything without knowledge or permission. Others will
> open an upgrade available window on start and give you the choice. Chrome, if
> you do not defeat this feature, upgrades will show up in synaptic or aptitude.
> You have the choice to upgrade like any other package. How they do it? I did
> not see a google entry in sources.list. Tagancha.org?

It creates a daily cron job to check for updates and appears
temporarily to modify sources.list to grab the update.  Some find this
behavior offensive, but it's by no means the only package which
creates a cron job which does things at the system level.

> 2. Cxchrome is Codeweavers compilation of the windows versions using wine.
> With a working native linux version, this may be obsolete.
> 3. Downloads are cutely animated. End up in ~/Downloads for now.
> 4. Setup options are not complete but certainly adequate to try it out.

It doesn't do authentication yet, so password-protected sites just
hang.  And its JavaScript and CSS implementations seem a bit
incomplete or buggy.

Patrick