Re: XFS frequent crashes on PE1950 with perc 5/e and 2xMD1000

On Tuesday 09 June 2009 08:16:35 Tomek Kruszona wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a problem with system in the configuration described in subject
> (Dell PE1950 III + PERC 5/E + 2xMD1000)
>
> System is running Debian Lenny AMD64 version with all available updates.
>
> I have 6 VD's 2TB each (for 32bit system compatibility). Each VD is a
> LVM2 PV
>
> I made a LVM2 volume and formatted this into XFS. Previously it was only
> one MD1000 connected to PERC controller.
>
> But two days ago i added next MD1000 added new PV's to LVM2 and extended
> XFS with xfs_growfs.
>
> After some time I got kernel panic like this:

  This strongly resembles an issue I had on a file server --
I don't have my notes handy, but it had to do with an issue
in which the kernel was interacting badly with a particular
motherboard chipset.

  The workaround was to reboot with the "iommu=soft" option
passed to the kernel.

  My problem was with an "etch" kernel, and it was my understanding
that newer kernels were not expected to have this problem, so
I may be off-base, but that's my experience.

  It sounds like this is at least an easy thing to try -- I really
wish I could find my notes...

				-- A.

--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net