Re: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.0

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Aniruddha<mailingdotlist@gmail.com> wrote:
> I try to install a 32-bit program in 64-bit Debian but I get the
> following message: 'error while loading shared libraries:

Have you installed the 32-bit compatibility libraries?

Anytime you manually install a library (and really, you should let the
packaging system do this) you have to rerun ldconfig to update what
the system thinks the libraries should be. Do you have, for instance,
/usr/lib32 as one of the search paths in your /etc/ld.so.conf file?

Realistically, the 32 bit program should have installed itself + the
two shared libraries, probably pulling in the other 32-bit
compatibility libraries as a dependency if they were not already
installed for some other reason (running GoogleEarth, for instance),
and should have updated the ld.so configuration automatically as part
of the postinstall routine.

If not, it might be a packaging bug. Error when loading shared
libraries might mean that it couldn't find the library, or maybe you
have a missing symbol. In the latter case, file a bug against the
library package (is it installable separately?).

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.