Playing ASX streams from Iceweasel

I know this isn't rocket science, but so far all I've done is run into
walls.  I'm sure there is some way this will work this side of killing
a chicken at the dark of the moon and uttering the secret chant.  ;)

I occasionally listen to a ASX streams and for a long time I've used
the Mozilla plugin for Mplayer which does the job but leaves much to be
desired in the style department.  So I set about trying to use the
various players run from Iceweasel and came up with none that would
just decode the ASX file and play the stream.  I tried Audacious 2.0,
Amarok 1.4.11, VLC 0.9.9a, and Gmplayer 1.0.rc2svn and the related
Kmplayer, and Kaffeine all unable to play an ASX stream file.  I had
success with various ones for decoding PLS and M3U so the framework is
there.  Note that I was going through IW's GUI to select a program and
not trying to do any special configuration in "about:config".

Now I know all about calling mplayer with the -playlist option and
manually extracting the URI from the saved ASX file and playing it that
way but that kind of defeats the purpose of the modern desktop and nice
media players, no?  I also had varying levels of success manually
opening a given stream using the manually copied and pasted URI which
is a kludge.

So is everyone else happily kludging along or do I need to do that
special ceremony to get this high technology to work?

All ideas appreciated.

- Nate >>

P.S.  Was I a bit too sarcastic?