Re: max sata connections

In <[🔎] 4A2FC38C.1080006@songshu.org>, randall wrote:
>i'm fairly unexperienced when it comes to "rackmountable hardware" but i
>was looking at the cheapest way too get as much terrabytes as possible
>in a single system.

I can get 18 drives in my desktop with the right equipment, and all of that
is fairly old at this point.  Chenbro (among others) makes a 5-in-3 that
turns 3 5.25" bays into 5 3.5" hot-swap HD trays.  Thermaltake (among
others) makes a case with 11 5.25" bays plus 3 3.5" internal bays that also
holds a EATX motherboard.

I saw one rack mount system that was 4U or 5U and had 48 hot-swap bays.

>my eye fell on the Chenbro RM23212 which is a 2u enclosure that fits 12x
>3.5 disks and i obviously want to squeeze 12x 1 or 2 terrabyte disks in
>there.

I think the "price point" for drives is actually the 1.5TB models.  Last I
checked they were half the price of a 2TB model.

>i figured that would be the most space/gigabyte solution at an
>affordable rate, however, when looking for a matching mobo i can not any
>with more then 10x sataII connections.

Buy a PCIe or PCI-X SATA card.  I know Areca sells a 12 port model.  There
should be many others.  You really only need to 2-port model so you can
probably find one that is "low-rise" and will fit in your 2U case.  I think
they also still make L-adaptors for PCI-X.

I don't suggest doing a 12-disk array.  Probably better to do 3 4-disk
arrays or 2 5-disk arrays each with a hot spare ready.  It is easier to
grow/upgrade the array that way.