automount - gnome-volume-manager vs. nautilus

Hi all,

I have been using gnome-volume-manager to automount USB/CD/.. media but that
no longer works for me. I am *not* running GNOME, but some GNOME related
daemons and it seems like I have been bitten by the "solutions" for bug
#507630 [1] and #507630 [2].

The situation with g-v-m and nautilus as packaged by debian is:

nautilus (2.26.2-3)

    * handles automounting if not started with "--no-default-window" *and*
      "--no-desktop"
    * breaks: gnome-volume-manager (< 2.24) [...]

gnome-volume-manager (2.24.1-3)

    * compiled with "--disable-automount"
    * conflicts: nautilus (< 2.24) [...]

I can understand the decisions taken by the maintainers to handle the decision
taken by the GNOME developers to implement automouting in nautilus and thereby
obsoleting this functionality within g-v-m, but ...

The problem is that nautilus is *not* a replacement for g-v-m *as of now*
because it is not possible to run nautilus in daemon mode. This functionality
*might* be introduced in a future release ([3]) but is not available right
now.

I am a bit unsure how to handle this situation and see the following
alternatives:

    1. Maintain my own gnome-volume-manager and nautilus package
       This would enable me to use g-v-m as i have before.
    2. Accept that automounting will not work
    3. Switch to an alternative

I don't see 1. and 2. as valid alternatives which leaves me with 3. and I
would like to ask for suggestions.

The alternative should be able to:

    1. Automatically mount inserted USB drives as /media/<volume-label>
    2. Support encrypted drives (dm-crypt)
    3. Allow clean unmounting
    4. Work for users in plugdev

Does anybody have good suggestions?