Samba problem

All of a sudden (ie. I can't think of anything that changed.) samba on one linux machine is not working.

One symptom is:

dgwicks:~# smbclient -L joyce
Connection to joyce failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)

another is:

dgwicks:~# mount //joyce/edrv
mount error 111 = Connection refused
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

In order to find/solve the problem I have installed the latest version of samba, smbfs, etc. to now avail.

The machine joyce can mount shares from other linux and Windows machines but no linux or windows machines can mount shares from joyce.

Any hints, tips, pointers, etc. greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Dennis