Re: up-to-date Sid, Need help with xorg.conf

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 06:54:55PM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Curt Howland wrote:
> >
> > So, I'm stuck creating my own screen/modline, and I could use a bit of
> > help.
> >
> > The values I want to use are 1360x768, 47.7KHz h., 60Hz v. 24/32 bits
> > of course.
> >
> > Anyone want to take a stab at it? We can work it through off-list and
> > I'll post a solution when we have it.
> >

> There should be no need for a modeline at all. xorg should detect its
> available modes and select the best one automatically.

If all else fails, kill any running X and kill kdm/gdm/xdm. [Use a
command line from a VT]

Once you're sure no X is running, as root issue the command

	Xorg -configure

This will attempt to generate an old style xorg.conf file based on the
Xorg best guess

	Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new

	To test the server, run 'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new'

If you do that, you should end up with the classic grey screen with a
large X shaped cursor. No window manager, but at least you know the X
server is running fine. If that works, then copy the /root/xorg.conf.new
file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If it doesn't, then at least you've got the best guess config to hand
edit.

I dictated this command to someone over the phone the other day
to configure a PowerMac where he'd tried and failed. I discovered the
command myself and used it on a rack mounted server where the
configuration was guessed correctly but the console switch wouldn't
work with the modelines - I needed the xorg.conf config file to hand
substitute "vesa" for ati to see anything at all under X :)

Hope this helps,

Andy