RE: flash drive encryption between different OS's

Daryl Styrk wrote:

> I'm looking for a solution to encrypt a flash drive formated in FAT32
> so it can easily be decrypted across multiple OS's with the least
> amount of software needed.

I recently went down the same path and settled on LUKS on Linux and
FreeOTFE on Windows XP.  I wrote a couple of HOWTO's that should get you
started:

    http://www.holgerdanske.com/node/455

    http://www.holgerdanske.com/node/456

I later bought a 1.5 TB external drive for backup images.  I ran into
two limitations:  FAT32 doesn't support files larger than 4 GB (I have
*.avi files larger than that) and Linux cannot write to NTFS partitions.
So, I ended up creating an ext2/LUKS partition on Linux, moving the
drive to Windows, mounting the partition with FreeOTFE, and formatting
the partition with NTFS.  The backup images are created on Windows by
Perl scripts and GNU tools on Cygwin, and I can move the drive to Linux
and read the images if I need to.

HTH,

David