How to make my desktop fit my laptop screen?

Hi

I have just installed debian on a very old laptop and have looked this up in various forums but haven't found an answer...

Debian works beautifully so far... but I can't seem to use my whole screen: there is always a huge black border. When I go to change the screen resolution I only have the option of 800x600 (and 60 or 56Hz refresh rate).

How can I stretch things so it uses up my whole screen?

Ron.