Re: why must emacs depend on sound packages?

Title: Re: why must emacs depend on sound packages?

Chris Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 11:02:03AM EDT, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
>
>> Yes, C-h in Emacs should perform some kind of backspace operation
>> (back-deletion or at least movement), since C-h in ASCII is the
>> Backspace character.
>
> I believe that like C-S/C-Q and friends this belongs in the terminal
> driver's psyche - it's at a lower level and already lived there long
> before the applications came along.

Yeah, I was going to mention Stallman's rant about C-s and its
invalidity due to exactly what you menion--that C-s/C-q were used
in modems and serial port drivers long before Emacs existed.

> I use "<" and ">" to move between tabs in the Elinks browser.. both
> mnemonic and useable. Ctr+PageUp/PageDn in seamonkey is somewhat
> mnemonic, but does not quite deliver in terms of "useability".
>
> And please don't get me started on "discoverability"..

You mean like when Windows, for some idiotic reason, _stopped_ putting
underlines under keyboard accelerator-key letters in menu items?

Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]