Re: network Q.: host name gets ".local" added after sometime

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:48:16PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Debian Unstable machine connected to an old machine running as
> a router. The router is running dnsmasq and my local network is
> configured as home.pvt.
>
> This Unstable machine is given the name of Blue by the dnsmasq server on
> on the router using dhcp (based on Blue's mac address). However, I have
> noticed that after some days, Blue's name on the network changes to
> Blue.local. The relevant syslog line in Blue appears to be:
> May 31 20:04:47 blue avahi-daemon[3514]: Server startup complete. Host
> name is blue.local. Local service cookie is 3941174068.
>
> I have to run dhclient on blue again to get the IP address again and to
> update its name in dnsmasq as blue.
>
> Anybody know what I should look for to prevent this addition of ".local"
> to the hostname? Or can somebody explain what is going on here?

The hostname resolution via Multicast DNS (using Zeroconf, aka Apple
Bonjour / Apple Rendezvous) which effectively allows name resolution by
common Unix/Linux programs in the ad-hoc mDNS domain "local", can be
provided by installing the libnss-mdns package. The "/etc/nsswitch.conf"
file should have stanza like "hosts: files mdns4_minimal
[NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4" to enable this functionality.

See:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_hostname_resolution