logitech quickcam chat on lenny

I've asked about this on several forums, #debian at freenode, and, I believe, on this list, but have still not found a successful resolution.

I have a Logitech Quickcam Chat.
It worked out of the box in PCLinuxOS, but I can't get it to work with Debian (had issues with a previous Ubuntu install, too).
It is listed in lsusb without issue.
I've loaded and m-a and modprobed gspca, qc-usb, quickcam, sacrificed my two best goats, and done the rain dance (thundering already), tried the backport 2.6.29 kernel, and run around the hills of Rome 7 times, but no joy.
There was no /dev/video0, which seems to be an issue.
I read something about mknod, but not sure if this is a potential solution, or how to use it (read the man, even). I'm a bit confused about that. Nonetheless, I did mknod c /dev/video0 81 0, chmod 666 /dev/video0, and ln -s /dev/video0 /dev/video, etc., etc., but still get the error no device /dev/video0 from camorama, etc. Running MAKEDEV quits with errors, .udevdb or .udev presence implies active udev. Aborting MAKEDEV invocation.

Oddly, Xsane sees the camera and can get a fuzzy image from it.
Skype, ekiga, kopete, cheese, camorama, and your mother's dog all are unable to use the camera.
Some give errors, some don't.

If nobody has this working or can assist,
can someone make a definitive recommendation for a camera that does work, preferably without having to repeat my herculean efforts to date trying to get this $20.00 camera working? It just might be worth the $20 to buy a different cam and save myself further headaches.

thanks
tony
--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com