Re: best practice for lvm?

In <[🔎] 20090603174408.GA25275@m364d1.ece.northwestern.edu>, Zhengquan Zhang
wrote:
>Can I say the best practice for lvm is to create a single partition for
>the harddrive and single PV on it

I prefer not to use a partition table at all if I'm using the whole disk for
LVM.

>and separate LVs for /tmp /var /home

You definitely want separate LVs for any partition (non-system) users can
write to, to avoid running out of space on your / partition.  I usually go
overboard and have separate partitions for:
/boot      # If / is on LVM; not LV
/usr
/usr/local # For OS migrations.
/home
/opt
/srv
/var
/var/tmp   # RAID 0 or other "fast"
/var/cache # RAID 0 or other "fast"
/tmp       # Usually tmpfs; no LV

>and leave enough unassigned PE for later enlargement of certain LV?

It is much easier to expand a filesystem than to shrink it.  This is true
even if you aren't using LVM.