Re: Replacing a Debian package with the original source package

In <[🔎] 87fxehb2t2.fsf@gmail.com>, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>In my Debian system I have Mplayer that came with Debian and want to
> replace with its svn version, recommended by Mplayer developers.
>
>What shall I do in order to remove the old one?

aptitude remove mplayer.

>Will an `apt-get purge'
> be enough?

apt-get purge mplayer
should also work, and will remove the "conffiles" as well, losing any
system-wide configuration options you've specified.  That may or may not be
what you want.

> Or just remove the binary file?

No, you should never alter a file installed by your package manager.  It may
get removed or replaced or have the contents or permissions changed by the
package manager in the future, losing any of your local changes.