Re: What happened to network devices?

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 01:35:47PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,29.May.09, 00:35:38, lee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what happened to network devices like /dev/eth0?
> >
> > cat:~# dhcp_probe -f /dev/eth0
> > note:   starting, version 1.3.0
> > error:  dhcp_probe: bad interface '/dev/eth0': SIOCGIFADDR: /dev/eth0: No such device
> > note:   exiting
>
> Hhhm, I never needed to put /dev/ in front of eth0 (but I also never
> used dhcp_probe). Does eth0 show up in 'ifconfig -a'?

Yes, and eth0 is working fine --- I couldn't send this email if it
didn't.

cat:~# dhcp_probe -f eth0
note:   starting, version 1.3.0
error:  get_myipaddr: couldn't locate interface eth0
error:  couldn't determine IP addr for interface eth0
note:   exiting
cat:~#

Now "ethstatus -i eth0" also works fine, but it also does when I don't
specify an interface. So I seem to have to specify the interface for
dhcp_probe, and to do that, I need to know what its designation is
since /dev/eth0 doesn't exist. Anyway, I'd like to know what happened
to /dev/eth0 and what to use instead.