Re: What hardware to use for Debian Firewall/Gateway or server?

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:18:56PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@planet.nl> writes:
>
> > Csanyi Pal wrote:
> >
> >> So: can one install on it say a Debian GNU/Linux Lenny?
> >
> > Mind that it is a "headless" device. Everything has to be done
> > through ssh (or local telnet). It has no cd-rom drive, keyboard,
> > or monitor. But it is just a Debian system (for powerpc, not for
> > i386). Everything behaves just like your desktop Debian system.
>
> Say I'll upgrade Debian Etch on it to Debian Lenny and make a mess of
> the operating system somehow through ssh connection.
> Then what can I do?
>
> I think one can boot from an USB stick with an installation iso file?
>
> But how can one setup the BIOS of the BUBBA mini server/gateway for
> booting from the USB stick??
>
> And if one can setup the first boot media to USB stick how can install
> the system without to seeing anything?
>
> How can they install the Debian system in the Factory of the BUBBA??
> :)

at a guess, bot having played with one of these, but having dealt with
headless machine before, I would have the bios set to

pxe
usb
ide/cf

pxe first and if that fails fall back to usb and if that fails back to
ide.  I have seen systems where the usb has to a flag on it to boot.

as for the ide/cf - why not just take out the cf card and test it on
another machine - fsck/ logs etc

--
"If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

	- George W. Bush
01/01/2000