How to improve performance on laptop?

Hi,

I have my laptop installed with Debian for two years. It's been working fine, although some problems happened and got fixed. (Now is Lenny, 2.6.24, Xfce4). The system has been very stable, but just with performance issues now. The time to start the system is OK (usually about 22secs in bootchart). The issue is with GUI applications. When I entered xfce4, it takes about 14secs for everything is ready, and when I open the Firefox (or Mozilla product), it always takes about 15secs to 20secs to be ready.

The system may be getting slower because I have been configuring and installing new staff on it. I just wonder if there is any way to tune on it, or maybe somewhere many caches need to be cleaned up?

I also used ext3 (journal) as my file system when I first time installed the system. This may be another factor of the issue. For sake of safety, I don't know how to remove the journal features without damaging my system with minimum risks. Any expertise can give advice and guidance on this if it can improve the performance a lot?

Thanks,
Michael.