iceweasel preferences help needed

I have a desire to have iceweasel work in a way that seems not easy
to configure:

Now, when iceweasel starts, the text and graphics are always displayed
too large to fit within the window in which it is displayed. As a
consequence there is always, or almost always, a horizontal scroll bar
at the bottom of the window. I can make the text and graphics fit
within the window by selecting View->Zoom->Zoom Out twice or thrice.
Selecting a smaller font, which I know how to do, does satisfy me,
because it is the graphical elements that I want smaller. They are just
TOO BIG, and waste a lot of space that would better be used with a
visually pleasing emptiness.

I would like to configure iceweasel to ALWAYS bring up new windows at
zoom level two Zoom_Outs. I think I will never want the current
default level, but, if I ever do, I'll just zoom-in twice.

Is this possible?

I have a similar issue with Gnome Terminal. Are both of these controlled
by a single preference in Gnome? What is it called? How do I access it?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net