Re: Lenny printing competition -- still open?

Miguel Obliviemo wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>
>> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>> In <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.64.0905271942380.12163@calypso.view.net.au>, Miguel
>>> Obliviemo
>>>
>> Just a joke, I suppose ;-)
>
> Not quite.  The language promotes another operating system.

What language? I can't find anything 'promoting' another OS. It just
*explains* how to print to a printer attached to another computer,
running a different OS.

>                                                             Surely,
> every reasonable person must prefer the Win operating system if even
> Debian promotes it.

Debian does not promote the Win OS. It provides software and
documentation to facilliate cooperation with people who choose another
OS. Debian does promote freedom (incl. freedom of choice) and does not
obstruct the use and interoperation with other software and/or OS.

>                      What system?  The Win system! says Lenny.  Has
> the virus so pervaded every part of your mind that you see nothing
> wrong here?

The document you refer to is _included_ in lenny, but it is not written
by or for lenny, not even by debian. (It was written in 2002 and
probably isn't up to date.)

Has the virus of "the purpose of an OS is to obstruct the usage and data
interchange with other OSes" so obstructed your mind, that you can't
tolerate the inclusion of documentation for the interoperation of linux
with another OS?

Cheers,
Johannes