Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

>> Actually, according to actual HCI studies it is often better to hide things
>> from a user instead of telling them about it.
>
> What means "better" in that case?

Really, this does sound ridiculous. We've all heard about the woman
who frees up disk space by removing the folders that she doesn't use,
such as C:/windows but the readers of this list are _not_ that
audience.

>> Now, once the user starts
>> looking for that setting, it should be available, but too many settings and
>> too much explanatory text confuses rather than enlightens.
>
> Whatever you do, there's nothing that helps against stupidity.

Again, this type of study does not seem suitable for this list.

>> >And what if you need the information stored in it?
>>
>> I won't.  I'll export the data as I abandon that software.  Actually, I'll
>> export the data before I abandon the software so I can import it into the
>> new software and test it.
>
> That is a possibility, but it requires to plan for it and to work on
> it, and mistakes can be made. It would be easier if that wasn't
> required.

Or, it requires a ggod backup, worst case scenario. You do have one, right?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il