Re: startx and KDE 4.2.2

GRotfl wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> After upgrade to KDE 4.2.2 I could not start X windows with startx (it
> complained that startkde in .xinitrc is not there). I have located startkde
> in package ksmserver, which is both in stable and unstable, but not testing.
> Also, it is version 3.5.9, not 4.2.2. I have changed sources.list to point
> to stable and reinstalled ksmserver, but I would like to have 4.2.2-only
> system (there are some bugs that are probably a consequence of the mixed
> system, for instance, walk through desktop shortcuts do not work and
> similar).
>
> Does anyone else have this problem or do you all start through kdm? I would
> like to avoid that if possible.
>
> Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Hi,

regarding startkde:

dpkg -S startkde
kdebase-workspace-bin: /usr/share/man/man1/startkde.1.gz
kdebase-workspace-bin: /usr/bin/safestartkde
kdebase-workspace-bin: /usr/bin/startkde

apt-file search startkde
kdebase-workspace-bin: /usr/bin/safestartkde
kdebase-workspace-bin: /usr/bin/startkde
kdebase-workspace-bin: /usr/share/man/man1/startkde.1.gz

it's in "kdebase-workspace-bin", available in Squeeze.

Due to problems with kdm when I migrated from kde 3.5 I used gdm and
lxsession to start kdm sessions for a while (but kdm was installed), I
needed not do anything special outside of reconfiguring the good login
manager as the default:

dpkg-reconfigure <session-manager name>

Tom