possible bug in gscan2pdf

I am attempting to use gscan2pdf under Kubuntu 8.10 with a HP 3015 combo scanner/printer/fax

pages scan but output is at about 45 degrees to the horizontal and scrambled.   totally unusable.

In my experience the HP XP drivers for the scanner are also problematic, slow and tend to lock up - I have the scanner from the same series on a different computer.  Usually it takes several attempts to get one page to scan properly and I never succeeded in scanning multiple pages.

will do my best  to provide any further info requested to clarify this issue but assume I know very little about this OS.

Thanks

Earl