Re: mass conversion from ogg to mp3

On Monday 25 May 2009 11:55:53 am ZephyrQ wrote:
> What is the best way to do this?  I would prefer a CLI option that I can
> run in the background, but I want to save as much sound quality as I can
> with the transfer...

You should write a script that does the following:

-) decodes the ogg files (using oggdec)
-) saves their tags (using vorbiscomment)
-) use grep to parse out tags like artist, album, etc
-) give lame the wav file from the decode and the tag information and encode at
high quality

Any way that you do this you are going to lose quality since you are
transcoding. The only thing that you can do is make sure that you encode your
mp3s at high enough quality so that you cannot tell the difference between them
and the original ogg file. If you don't have a regular directory structure, you
might want to do something like

find . -name "*.ogg" | while read oggfile; do

at the start of your script.

MM